Skills Australia recently released a report entitled "Better use of skills, better outcomes: A research report on skills utilisation in Australia" which explores often asked questions about what drives businesses to invest in and properly deploy the skills of their workforce.
In that report, there were 5 critical success factors identified:
- Leadership and management - accountability, innovation, consultation, challenge, integrity, planning, leadership development, ,change management and persistence/consistency all feature here.
- Culture and values - supportive, inclusive, encouraging ideas and consistent in practice are the key attributes here.
- Communication, consultation and collaboration - a focus on active listening, transparency of information, involvement of staff in decision-making, learning, continuous improvement activity, teamwork and recognition of people's contributions
- Good HR practices - a supportive workplace, conducive to skills utilisation, reward and recognition for people's efforts
- Employee motivation - emphasising diversity and differences in people's individual needs and the motivational value of people feeling valued.
We don't think that there is anything new in these findings - they are consistent with numerous studies in Australia and overseas over the past 20+ years.
With the right purpose, vision and values to provide direction, adherence tom these 5 factors will go a long way towards creating a productive business and great place to work like these ones..